Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Reality: Furries and Human Bitches

Yesterday I walked into an elevator and was greeted by a furry and his human bitch. I just shrugged off the odd picture with no more enthusiasm than it took to press the elevator button. Upon exiting the lift I was surrounded by more people in very odd animal mascot costumes being followed around by men and women with dog collars and fluffy colorful tails. I chalked this all this up to my lack of sleep and kept walking. It wasn't until I got outside my hotel and got some fresh air that it hit me. I just walked through a crowd of Furries in my Denver Hotel....  This incident has made me realize that my reality has definitely become other people's surreal.

SO what is reality? Is it this? A grown human wearing a life size animal costume? As the day carried on this question started to plague me. 

An hour later I arrived at my friends graduation party where I was thrown into Bolder's idea of reality. I was enthusiastically shown astrological charts, ironically discussed the fascinations that a wealthy German had with destruction and watched folk dancers prance across the backyard. It was an invigorating experience yet confusing to navigate on only 3 hours of sleep. I kept pinching myself. Is this really happening? 

With a heavy heart I left my Bolder friends and made my way back to my hotel where I had to swim through the giddy zombie wolves,  furry dogs and human bitches back to my room. 

The next morning I trudged down to the front desk and was a bit disappointed when the foyer was empty of all its previous animalistic activities. It was as if I wanted more odd things to challenge my sense of reality. Alas my flight home provided that for me. 


When I caught this gem of a T-shirt I began to think what an odd choice of clothing to wear in public, but then I got to thinking. For this gentleman this rather ridiculous shirt is completely common place. In Alaska this is normal...In California or Portland some hippie would probably throw paint on him or tofu pieces. But here among the moose and diehard Republicans he is accepted. It is their reality and because I live here it is sort of mine as well. 

After I deplaned my flight I got to thinking about this T-shirt and was buzzed out of my thoughts by a Facebook message. I looked down at my phone and read a message that my travel buddy and best friend RP sent to me and a few of our other travel pals. 


These messages are not rare. In fact, I receive one from RP about every 2 months or so when some stranger pops up on her newsfeed or sends her a message. This is our reality. We have traveled all over the world. Met people from all 6 six continents, and have come face to face with creatures that would frighten even the most brave of men. Example:

Bull's Balls


MeatBall
But our memory is shit and so we rely on these quick FB messages to set us straight and often time the answers and realizations are quite amusing...

So again I ask what is reality? Or better yet what is my reality? Is it petting a tiger? Is it people who get a thrill out of dressing in mascot costumes? Or is it old men in inappropriate T-shirts? These are all trick questions because...“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” ― Albert Einstein


No comments:

Post a Comment