Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Non-Romantic Forever: Charity Shops and Pancakes

I met my best friend in a small little restaurant in Scotland after two months of solo traveling. I would love to say that at the precise moment she walked into the shop door that our eyes met and it was platonic love at first sight; or perhaps that I knew Ms. Pancake would be my non-romantic forever; however, that wasn’t the case. Instead, I was shoveling haggis and mash potatoes into my face at such an alarming rate I am surprised I didn’t choke. I was more willing the food into my starved traveler body rather than actually tasting it.  She saw me packing food into my mouth laughing obnoxiously and I saw her standing there in typical stoic early Ms. Pancake fashion...translation she looked like a bitch. Needless to say we did not “bro-out" on our first meet up. Instead, Pancake and I bonded a few days later in a pub, beer in hand. It wasn’t the alcohol that helped us bond, nor the dancing. No it was the one thing that would be the scaffolding to our budding relationship. We bonded over being the embarrassingly cheapest people we knew. More specifically, two words were spoken that night that sealed the deal: “Charity Shops”, and that was it.

Charity shops are the UK’s equivalent to Goodwill stores in America except the UK shops have a very charming and quaint vibe. On first inspection an American could mistake an Oxfam Charity Shop for a boho boutique. They also have that musty smell like an old fur coat that has hung in the hall closet for the last 20 years. Goodwill’s on the other hand are massive warehouses of pestilence. I firmly believe that they would sell used needles and dead bodies if they could make a buck. Anything is a go. David Sedaris once wrote about how he contracted crabs from a pair of Goodwill pants all for the price of a few dollars.

Being a hypochondriac germaphobe, visiting a Goodwill is always an interesting endeavor. When I walk into one my body does two contradictory things. It cringes from repulsion and buzzes with excitement. I imagine watching me wandering the warehouse floor would be more entertaining than watching two drunken transvestites fighting in the crowd of a sporting event. I have the token “stink face” as I pick through the racks.  I try on clothes like I’m forced to wear a homeless person’s pee rag. But after several scalding hot washings (both my body and the clothes) I am tickled by my find. I brag like a hipster (definition: today’s version of an alternative hippie). Under the surface I know I am a fake because hippies aren’t afraid of what might be hidden in polyester.

I still held onto my new world stink face as I perused the shelves of the quaint Oxfam Charity Shop; however, in the UK my stink face was seen as just being British. I no longer was rubbing elbows with crack addicts or chain smoking grandmas in a large warehouse; instead, I was skimming the shelves with the cool college students of Edinburgh University or the cute old granny’s in tartan. I was hip and I had my future best friend on my arm.

Our first charity shop purchases have become tokens of our earlier friendship. She still has her first edition Harry Potter Philosopher’s Stone, and I still have that New Look black zip up shirt (albeit with several more holes and a potent smell that I don’t recall came with the initial purchase). This seven year long friendship has grown beyond the mutual love of all things frighteningly cheap and into a love for life, adventure, and each other. However, we will always feel closest when are filing through the racks at the nearest goodwill with the transvestites and prostitutes of the world. Ms. Pancake you have indeed become my non-romantic forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment